Wednesday 9 November 2011

Brett Ratner is a Moron

Curtis M. Wong for The Huffington Post writes:


"The gaffe, made during a Q&A session following a "Tower Heist" screening, seemed questionable even for the sharp-tongued Ratner, who is the producer of this year’s Oscar telecast and is said to be in talks to direct an adaptation of the Broadway musical "Wicked." One audience member is said to have been so upset by the reference that they immediately left the session."

Everyone seems to be writing, so I might as well chime in. The fact that one audience member walked out doesn't surprise me. I think if I was in the room, I would walk out on the basis that I was offended by the state of X-Men: The Last Stand. Ratner's success seems to be  a case of choosing projects that can't fail: A Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker Live Show, just the two of them on a stage fighting and joking, would sell. A film depicting this in multiple scenarios is a sure-hit. The prequel to Silence of the Lambs and the third X-Men film are going to get easy-money with the right marketing. At any rate, it is probably a good thing that he has been pulled from the Oscars because he needs to think about whether he is an artist (which I don't believe he is) or whether he is a money-making businessman (which I do think he is) ... at any rate, the latter does not use the term 'fag'. Ironically, artists who are convicted and alleged criminals: Roman Polanski, Mel Gibson, Michael Jackson. They will always say the wrong thing, at the wrong time, but their art is what defines them. Bottom line is The Pianist, The Passion of the Christ and Thriller will never be forgotton ... whilst I have a funny feeling people would be happy to forget The Family Man, Rush Hour and X-Men: The Last Stand.

So - what was Brett Ratner's response?


"Everyone who knows me knows that I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body. But as a storyteller I should have been much more thoughtful about the power of language and my choice of words."
Storyteller? Storyteller? He has written one film. A short. In 1990. He doesn't tell stories. He makes money for the studio system. He might as well work in accounting or advertising. Storyteller my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.