Wednesday 21 July 2010

Favourite Film Faces #5: Emperor Zurg in 'Toy Story 2'


Having just watched 'Toy Story 3', I must admit I missed Emperor Zurg. Then again, I was glad the film didn't constantly 'nod' to the previous films - showing Sid as an older guy, showing Wayne Knights crappy toy store, etc.

I have no idea how Zurg would have fitted into the story without being a shameless 'remember this guy' moment, but one idea might have been to use Zurg as an example of a Toy that gets destroyed by the toddlers. Imagine the horror!

Fact is, the start of Toy Story 2 was incredible and, I remember how - on DVD - I thought it looked incredible. Ultimately, it still does look amazing.

On a side note, I can't seem to write comments on certain bloggers posts and, interestingly, The Kid in The front Row had a dilemma about watching previous Toy Story films prior to the third one. I was fully intending to watch the 2nd one prior to watching the third (having watched Toy Story in 3D on its rerelease) but, alas, some friend had borrowed it and didn't get it back to me. Upon watching the third one, I realised that the music themes were still very similar and I reckon, if I did watch all the films over a week - i would have got a little disillusioned and bored by the same-y music and same-y jokes and characters. To cut a long story short, if you have watched the first two loads in the past, you don't need to rewatch them before watching 3 ... until you have a shiney new boxset whereby it is, almost, a ritual. 

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I came here and boy does the place look different, in a good way of course. Nice review Simon it feels strange to say but I'm looking forward to seeing this film, and hope to start taking Sam to the cinema soon as I can watch all the really good animated movies.

    What I find great about Toy story is that it has prolonged itself enough a lot of people our age can remember it back in their childhood and their teens and now their twenties. Not so many can boast it has an entire generation hook at all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its what every studio wants - how can they reach the widest demographic? get the most amount of cash from every sector of society. I think its Pixars playfulness that works a charm.

    Sure is nice to see you around Pete! Did you see I put a link to your site a couple-o-weeks ago?

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.